Find out more about the history of Fairbourne Golf Club
From the beginning...
In approximately 1897 Merioneth Golf Links was formed on the land stretching from Fairbourne village to Penrhyn Farm some 200 meters back from Penrhyn Point by the McDougal family (the flour people). They were the owners of the land and the owners of the Ynys Faig Estate latterly to be called the village of Fairbourne.
Part of the farmhouse at Penrhyn Point was rented out to the Merionethshire Golf Club 9 Hole Course. Both the men and woman kept their clubs in separate rooms. The old Golf House is now in ruins after being raised to head height after people were seen sleeping rough inside the building overnight. It now looks more like an old sheepfold.
The majority of the golfers in the 1890's came across by boat from Barmouth and consisted mainly of solicitors, accountants and high earners. The first tee was a further 100 meters back towards Fairbourne and 9 holes were played in a Southerly direction before making their way back in the direction of Clubhouse.
As part of the development of Fairbourne, a clubhouse was built beyond the last property by the McDougal family at the northen end of the village and opened at the end of July 1899. Whilst it was timber clad in those days it is now built of stone after a severe fire destroyed it in the early 1980's.
There were several owners of the old course over the years but one problem they could not overcome was the flooding, and the last owners in the 1960's did not have the capital to recover the course.
In 1995 a band of enthusiastic volunteers set to work to reinstate land South of the Sea Defence Embankment as a 9 Hole Golf Course. When the 2nd fairway was constructed, a grass bunker from the original course was retained and is still used today.
Help and support in setting up the golf course again came not only from Arthog Community Council, but also Aberdyfi and Dolgellau Golf Clubs. Both clubs shared their expertise and equipment to help the club start up again. It was not long before the course became a magnet to the tourists and perhaps has helped to produce stars of the future.